Our History: The first worship for summer vacationers in the newly constructed Holden Beach Chapel was held on June 11, 1961. Before the Chapel was built, Mr. Luther Holden arranged for worship services at the old Pavilion prior to its destruction by Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
After Hurricane Hazel, property owners Dr. and Mrs. R. H. Holden, Mrs. Rhoda Holden McMillan, Mr. Edgar Holden, Mrs. Evelyn Thompson, Mr. and Mrs. James S. Pete Moffitt, and Mr. and Mrs. Lonnie Small their families and other residents and guests met for Bible Study and prayer, or led the Sunday school activities for children in their homes. They made plans for the construction of a chapel building with a parsonage apartment for the visiting summer ministers. Ministers from various denominations receive a week's stay at the parsonage in exchange for leading worship on Sunday, now, on a year round basis.
Shortly before his death in 1990, Mr. Lonnie Small, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, was directed by the Board of Trustees to purchase and contract paving for the lots behind the Chapel for parking. In August 1997, the Board of Trustees voted to purchase the home adjoining the west end of the parking lot to be used as a parsonage.
The current sanctuary was dedicated November 2003. The Chapel continues as an interdenominational fellowship with a mission to provide worship and fellowship to vacationers, second home owners and residents of Holden Beach and nearby communities.